How to get an internship at a PR firm
Here at Estes Public Relations, we hire interns on a quarterly basis to work in our Louisville office. Our internship program gives communications, PR and journalism students the opportunity to see the inner workings of a boutique PR firm. You’ll write press releases, manage media lists, attend photo/video shoots and more as our intern. But how do you get one of the coveted spots?
5 tips to land a public relations internship
1. Apply early. Reach out to us with plenty of time before the internship would start to be at the top of our list.
2. Do your homework. Tell us what interests you about our PR agency in particular. Share which clients excite you. Taking a little extra initiative will stand out.
3. Be flexible. We want you to get the most out of your internship, which means spending a lot of time in the office with us. If your schedule is too full with activities and classwork, it may not be the right time to apply.
4. Put your best foot forward. Show up on time, dress appropriately for the office and bring copies of your resume and a portfolio.
5. Follow up. For a PR internship or any job interview, always send a thank you note either by mail or email. Tell us why you want to work with us and what about the internship you’d look forward to.